Landholder Grants and Support

Changes in land management proposed within the Yellingbo Conservation Area only apply to existing areas of Public land and will not involve at this stage any acquisition of private land.

In order to protect natural values and enhance riparian habitat on public land, funding through various Agencies is available to support: maintenance and extension of native vegetation and habitat on neighbouring properties; reduction of weeds and pest animals in the Conservation Area and neighbouring properties; and community endeavors to conserve and restore habitat within the Conservation Area. A variety of grants, funds, agreements, and licences are available to landholders.

Community participation and stewardship will continue to play a key role in the new coordinated approach and assist in improving the values of the area.

Melbourne Water River Health Incentives Programs

Melbourne Water’s River Health Incentives Program (RHIP) consists of four different program types, suited to different landholders to deliver different waterway health outcomes. The programs are outlined below:

  • Stream Frontage Management ProgramTo assist with the transition, funding for fencing and off-stream stock watering is available to eligible landowners from the Melbourne Water Stream Frontage Management Program. Funding for this program is limited, and will be prioritised to landowners who apply early. Visit the Melbourne Water website to find out more about the program or contact Katie Drummond, (03) 9679 7253,
  • Rural Land ProgramMelbourne Water’s Rural Land Program provides advice and funding for works to minimise property impacts on stream reserves. Visit the Melbourne Water website to find out more about the program or contact Rowan Hore, Program Manager, Rural Land Program, Melbourne Water, 03 9679 681
  • Community Grants ProgramMelbourne Water offer grants annually to volunteer community groups to support them to deliver waterway improvements on public land. Community groups can apply for support grants – up to $1,000 and project grants – up to $30,000. Applications for community grants for 2017/18 are now closed. Information about 2018/19 funding round will be available in September 2018. Contact Melbourne Water for further Information.
  • Corridors of Green Program: Melbourne Water offers funding and support to improve river health through the Corridors of Green Program. Local councils and public land managers are eligible for this funding. To find out if you are eligible to apply, visit the Melbourne Water website.

Other support

  • Living Rivers FundingThe Living Rivers program offers councils funding, expertise and guidance to build their understanding, skills and commitment to manage stormwater within an integrated water management approach. Funding rounds usually open in February and September each year. For more information, visit the Melbourne Water website.
  • Pest & Weed Management:  DELWP have a range of funding sources for pest and weed management. For more information contact the YCA Project Implementation Team, 9210 9424.
  • Parks Victoria will be responsible for weed management when the Crown land is formally transferred to them after 30 September 2018.
  • Landcare Grants: Grants of up to $20,000 are available for on-ground works, education and capacity-building projects to protect and restore Victoria’s land and environment. Support and start-up grants of $500 are also available for new and existing groups. For more information about Victorian Landcare Grants 2018-19, visit the DELWP website and the PPWCMA website.
  • Conservation Agreements & Riparian Management Licences: YCACC and the government agencies wish to work in conjunction with landholders to ensure management of frontages to conserves environmental values. DELWP may issue a riparian management licence for some part of crown land frontage to allow landholders to manage this land for riparian management purposes. Neighbours may assist by entering into Conservation Agreements or Riparian Management Licenses.

Other Funding Sources include: